Pre-paleo my kids were quesadilla JUNKIES. They would eat them morning noon and night if i let them. Giving them up was a mournful experience for us all -- namely me. I tried many many recipes for tortillas and they all came out tasting like coconut flavored egg whites. Enter Malika Duke (aka Fit Rich Woman). I whipped these gems up, pressed them out between wax paper and fried 'em up. I topped one with organic cheddar cheese, folded it in half and chopped it up. MUCH to my delight, my kids gobbled these right up! YESSSS!!!! I have even thought about using these to make wraps for the grown ups... or maybe a taco casserole... possibilities are endless!!
1 C Almond Meal/Flour
1 C tapioca flour
¼ C coconut flour
½ ts baking soda
½ ts cream of tartar
¼ ts Himalayan salt
¾ C warm water
3 TB Coconut Oil - melted
Coconut or Avocado oil for frying
1. Whisk dry ingredients
2. Stir the oil into the water, add half to dry mixture and check consistency; continue adding water and mixing until dough is moist but not sticky.
4. Roll into a ball about the size of a lime (about 1.5-2 inches diameter, I used an ice cream scooper) and roll it around in your hands until it’s in a non-sticky form
5. Place between two pieces of wax paper use the bottom of a bowl to press until your tortilla is about 1/8th inch thick. A tortilla press is handy.These little things can sometimes stick to the paper so be a bit careful!
6. Add a teaspoon or so of oil to the pan then add tortilla. Use a brush to oil the other side of the tortilla while it is frying.
7. Cook for 1 minute each side until both sides are nicely browned and cooked fully; it will bubble up a little and look a bit dry and golden browned like a regular conventional tortilla.
Top and enjoy!