Cauliflower Au Gratin
· 1 (3-pound) head cauliflower, cut into large florets
· Kosher salt
· 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter , divided
· 1 Tbsp Arrowroot
· 1 14 oz can coconut milk
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
· ½ + ¼ C freshly grated Gruyere, divided
· 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook the cauliflower florets in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 to 6 minutes, until tender but still firm. Drain .
Meanwhile, butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the arrowroot, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Pour the coconut milk into the butter-arrowroot mixture and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until thickened. Off the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, nutmeg , 1/2 cup of the Gruyere,and the Parmesan .
Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8 by 11 by 2-inch baking dish . Place the drained cauliflower on top and then spread the rest of the sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of Gruyere on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, until the top is just browning. Serve hot or at room temperature.