Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie The Sequel

So my original pot pie was good. It had a yummy crust made of almond meal. Recently, my body has decided that it does NOT like nuts or nut flour of any kind. I tried to eat it - just a little nut flour -- and my body quickly reminded me by giving me a nice eczema flare so it was back to the drawing board for this lady. I came up with this recipe and its not only muuuuch better, but its easier than the original! How many sequels can say that they are better than the original?? Enjoy!







Pot Pie

Filling
3 slices of bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ C cut green beans
1 C chicken stock
1 14 oz can coconut milk
2 Tbsp arrowroot
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 C cooked chicken, chopped

Directions
In a medium sized pot, cook bacon until crispy.
Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic cooking for 5 minutes making sure to scrape the bottom of the ban
Add chicken stock, coconut milk, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper green beans,  and chicken and bring to a boil
Reduce to a simmer then stir in arrowroot 1 tablespoon at a time until dissolved.
Continue to simmer until thickened
Pour into 8x12 baking dish

Dough
1 C Tapioca Flour
1/4 C coconut Flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp butter (or coconut oil)
1/2 tsp salt
½ C Boiling water

Directions 
Sift all dry ingredients.
Add butter to dry ingredients mixing to form crumbles
Add hot water into dry ingredients
Form ball and press into flat rectangle
Place over pot pie ingredients and bake at 400 for 10 minutes

23 comments:

Alison Golden - PaleoNonPaleo said...

I am definitely going to try this! My kids love crust and while they bravely eat on without it, it would be great to give them a little bit of what they fancy. Thanks Orleatha!

Unknown said...

Kiddos after my own heart! When i was SAD, i ate processed pot pie weekly! I loved them so this was a special project and i hope they enjoy them as much as i do! :)

allison said...

I just found your website very randomly and proceeded to cut and paste too many of your recipes to print out - time to subscribe!! Nice job and can't wait to try these!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a good substitute! It's all about stumbling on the right mix of alternative flours when baking.

Unknown said...

Allison - i'm glad you like them! I'm putting them (and more) in book form so keep an eye out! :)

Tips- i definitely stumbled. The first attempts were definitely not delish!

OneThickChick said...

I made this with leftover turkey- super good! Only problem was the crust- I think I needed to get it thinner, it was kind of chewy. Thank you for the recipe I will definitely try it again.

Unknown said...

Yep i roll it out super thin between two sheets of wax paper. I peel the top sheet off and flip the other one (with the crust still on it) upside down on top of the pot pie... hope this helps and glad you liked it enough to try it again! :D

Kristina said...

The filling was good but the crust was so difficult to work with. It ended up being very gooey so I took it off and just ate the filling. Dissapointed :(

Unknown said...

oh no! I find that when my dough was not what i expected, it was one of two things:
not measuring the coconut flour properly
OR
letting the dough sit. It has to be put on the pies immediately. I make the filling first then make the dough or else it falls apart or comes out gooey :(

wifeoflowcarber said...

Unbelievably good! My daughter and I keep talking about how amazing this pot pie is! Yes, the crust has a texture similar to gnocchi, but we love that. It feels like we're eating the real thing. Truly delicious. I made no adjustments. Next time I might add more veggies, but I want to thank you so much for this recipe!

Kristina said...

I did let the dough sit because I was doing the filling. :( We loved the filling tho. I would make it again
Next time I will do the dough last. Thanks for the tip!

Phoenix Helix said...

This recipe looks delicious AND it fits the paleo autoimmune protocol (a rare thing). So, thank you! I recently started a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. I’m trying to expand resources for the AIP community. Here’s the link: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/02/19/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-15/

Unknown said...

Made this tonight - it was delicious!! The crust made it more like chicken and dumplings. This was the first "comfort" food I've had in a long time!!

Unknown said...

Words cannot express my love for you and this dough!! Thank you so much! It was very good and satisfied my bread craving. Thank you again!

Bunsnpigs said...

THANK YOU!!! I made this last night and my husband and my brother both liked it! I just ate leftovers for breakfast. Yeah!!! I agree with the other poster - the dough made it like chicken and dumplings. I love you!

Bunsnpigs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

I just made this for dinner after church, can't wait to eat the leftovers! The seasoning was perfect! Thank you for the recipe 👍👍

SashaP said...

This was sooooooooo good! I made little biscuit like circles with the dough-- was easier than rolling out-- and it came out great. Thank you so much for this recipe!!!

Maria said...

I made this recipe and it was great. In mass, I used 1 and half cup of coconut flour and 1 cup of tapioca. It was crispy. hug from Brasil

Unknown said...

What a great recipe! We will really enjoy this.

Unknown said...

This recipe sounds delicious - I'm on the AIP, and have an very bad digestive reaction to any kinds of nuts. On the oil used in the dough, how about using tallow or lard? These can make a nice, crisp dough, and they are great, healthy fats. Just a thought. Thanks for the recipe.

Jonathan Patton said...

I made the dough, put it right on and it still was very gooey. Anyway to fix that? I like more of a crust.

Unknown said...

This is amazing!!! Thank you!!